Saturday, May 11, 2019

The Realistic Nature of Bipartisanship


            Over Spring Break, I went down to Dallas with my two cousins. While driving down with my older cousin, Harry, he put on some political discussion podcast he had been listening to prior. This sparked a debate between us about whether exaggerating information is ok to do when trying to persuade a broad audience to side with your beliefs or at least look into the subject. My cousin’s stance on it was along the lines of it being ok because it gets more people to look into a subject themselves, thus becoming more informed and able to refute any misconceptions themselves. I tried to refute this because I believe most people don’t become interested in the topic enough to do any research on their own and usually take anything they hear as a fact. When someone who is famous or speaks publicly about political problems often, their listeners rarely question their sources or statistics they throw out during a debate. I think this is partly due to the bipartisan nature of this country currently. Most individuals who align themselves with a political party tend to only listen to the news outlets that feed into their existing beliefs. If a fact is stated that goes against what someone believes of their party’s stance, they just think it’s a false claim from the other side. In an ideal scenario, everyone trying to make up their mind on where they stand regarding a new subject would do all the research on their own prior to joining the debate, but that’s just not realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Argument of the Final

          I would like to try and explain my argument within my final project for my class. My project was a pretty simple Excel spreadsheet...